Custom Search
Job Qualifications Include...: Multiply bummed status by 4 today

Home

I want to hear everyone's story.

I want to hear everyone's story. I know you have at least one. Copy the job ad that says they are looking for just a female worker. Show me the news article that says recruiters throw out resumes for various reasons. Tell me about the phony job you applied for, only to be let down. Tell me how little they offered for a job requiring a masters degree. We need regulation, we need to not be preyed upon while we are down. Refuse to give out your personal information until they tell you who they are. Take a stand, because standing is about all we have left.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Multiply bummed status by 4 today

I just posted a new resume to a job search site.  New as in, I recently got married so I changed my name and I added some much needed bullets, etc....

Promptly I receive an email from the site saying thanks for uploading yet another document for us to host.  We appreciate your willingness to continue to visit our site blah blah blah.... Then another email from the same people telling me how my resume can get noticed.  Resume Upgrade!  How exciting, I can put myself on the top of the search results when an employer searches for resumes online.  Ahem... I said that wrong, I'll begin again...

How awful, now there is a whole new way to be put at the bottom of the pile.  I don't have $150 dollars to get "titanium" status so that I can increase my exposure by 190%.  I can venture to say that I also will not scrape together $20 for "copper" status that increases my exposure by 25%.  I will however point out that it is impossible to state such an increase when this option is available to everyone.  This would not have any bearing on the best candidate being at the top of the list.  Assuming the best candidate is not the only person on the planet right now that has $150 dollars to throw away. 
I actually teared up on this one.  We used to be able to dress up nice and walk in to an office, kindly as for the appropriate person to hand your resume to and cross your fingers for an interview.  They saw you, they had a first impression, they liked you ... they called.  I remember the first time I got a job off the internet, and someone laughed at me.  "That NEVER works"  they said.  Now I am competing with other documents and not just that, but that guys document is more expensive and designer... and TITANIUM than mine. 

There is not a damn thing that government can do to fix the job market.  Career builder, monster, big job search engines made this and are the only ones that can unmake it.  We are the asset, without all the resumes and candidates there would be no reason for an employer to purchase a membership.  We are what they are selling.  There is no excuse for the gross liberties they have taken with people who are desperate, scared and angry.  Job searches should be fair and open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment